A popular response to neck pain is taking medication to cover up the problem (aspirin, analgesics, pain pills) or treating its symptoms (muscle relaxers, massage, hot packs). But constant neck pain is not caused by a lack of aspirin or medications.
According to the American Chiropractic Association, these are the most common causes for neck pain:
- Injury and Accidents. Injuries to the neck caused by the sudden movement of the head, forward, backward, or sideways, is referred to as “whiplash”. Whiplash is most commonly received from riding in a automobile that is struck from behind or that collides with another object. When the head is suddenly jerked back and forth beyond its normal limits, the muscles and ligaments supporting the spine and head can be overstretched or torn.
- Growing Older. Degenerative disorders directly affect the spine.
- Osteoarthritis. Causes progressive deterioration of cartilage. The body reacts by forming bone spurs that affect joint motion.
- Degenerative Disc Disease. Can cause reduction in the elasticity and height of intervertebral discs. Over time, a disc may bulge or herniate, causing tingling, numbness, and pain that runs into the arm.
- Spinal Stenosis. Causes the small nerve passageways in the vertebrae to narrow, compressing and trapping nerve roots.
- Daily Life. Poor posture, obesity, and weak abdominal muscles often disrupt spinal balance, causing the neck to bend forward to compensate.
Neck Pain Treatment in Greenfield, WI
Dr. Hruby’s approach is to locate its underlying cause. This begins with a complete case and thorough examination. Special attention is given to the structure and function of the spine, and its affect on the nervous system.
- Is the proper spinal curve present?
- Are the nerve openings between each pair of spinal bones free and clear?
- Is the head balanced?
- Are the shoulders level?
These and other considerations are used to create a plan of specific chiropractic treatments to help improve the motion and position of the spine. With improved structure and function, neck pain often diminishes or totally disappears without addictive drugs or harmful side effects! One study, published in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics found that patients who received chiropractic care reported significant improvement in their neck function and a reduction in their pain whereas those taking pain-killers did not.
Is it hard to look over your shoulder? Is there a constant pulling or throbbing pain in your neck? Do you notice a “grinding” sound as you turn your head? Consult with Dr. Hruby before enduring constant neck pain.
Dr. Hruby’s approach to Chiropractic has brought me relief from neck pain after several other Chiropractors were not successful. My entire family now sees Dr Hruby on a regular basis. Thank you!
I started seeing dr. Hruby a few weeks ago for headaches and neck pain and in those few weeks things have been improving so much and Dr. Hruby does a great job. They are always great about fitting me in earlier if I get off work early too! Glad I found this place!